[Numpy-discussion] Put type annotations in NumPy proper?

Joshua Wilson josh.craig.wilson at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 18:42:27 EDT 2020

> That is, is this an all-or-nothing thing where as soon as we start, numpy-stubs becomes unusable?

Until NumPy is made PEP 561 compatible by adding a `py.typed` file,
type checkers will ignore the types in the repo, so in theory you can
avoid the all or nothing. In practice it's maybe trickier because
currently people can use the stubs, but they won't be able to use the
types in the repo until the PEP 561 switch is flipped. So e.g.
currently SciPy pulls the stubs from `numpy-stubs` master, allowing
for a short

find place where NumPy stubs are lacking -> improve stubs -> improve SciPy types

loop. If all development moves into the main repo then SciPy is
blocked on it becoming PEP 561 compatible before moving forward. But,
you could complain that I put the cart before the horse with
introducing typing in the SciPy repo before the NumPy types were more
resolved, and that's probably a fair complaint.

> Anyone interested in taking the lead on this?

Not that I am a core developer or anything, but I am interested in
helping to improve typing in NumPy.