[Numpy-discussion] start of an array (tensor) and dataframe API standardization initiative

Matti Picus matti.picus at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 08:53:46 EST 2020

On 11/10/20 8:19 PM, Ralf Gommers wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'd like to share an update on this topic. The draft array API
> standard is now ready for wider review:
>
> - Blog post: https://data-apis.org/blog/array_api_standard_release
> <https://data-apis.org/blog/array_api_standard_release/>
> - Array API standard document:
> https://data-apis.github.io/array-api/latest/
> - Repo: https://github.com/data-apis/array-api/
>
> It would be great if people - and in particular, NumPy maintainers -
> could have a look at it and see if that looks sensible from a NumPy
> perspective and whether the goals and benefits of adopting it are
> described clearly enough and are compelling.

I think it is compelling for a first version. The test suite and
benchmark suite will be valuable tools. I hope future versions
standardize complex numbers as a dtype. I realize there is a limit to
the breadth of the scope of functions to be covered. Is there a page
that lists them in one place? For instance I tried to look up what the
standard has to say on issue https://github.com/numpy/numpy/issues/17760
about using bincount on unt64 arrays. It took me a while to figure out
that bincount was not in the API (although unique(..., return_counts) is).

Matti