[Numpy-discussion] NEP 42 and physical unit DType

Thomas Caswell tcaswell at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 14:05:28 EDT 2020

>From the Matplotlib side we can definitely do dispatch based on the dtype
of the ndarray (not just that it is an array) which is how we handle arrays
of datetimes.

Matplotlib should (internally) never try to do operations on user data
before we do the unit conversion and my default position is that where we
let that leak is a bug in mpl.  I don't think bugs in Matplotlib
should feed back to the dtype design.

Tom

Thomas Caswell
tcaswell at gmail.com