[Numpy-discussion] NumPy community town hall on Oct 14th

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 16:02:55 EDT 2020

Hi all,

Tomorrow there will be no regular community meeting. Instead, we will be
holding a town hall meeting at 1pm PDT (20:00 UTC), focused on community
building, our diversity, equity & inclusion (DEI) efforts, ways for new
contributors to plug in, and related topics. For details see
https://numpy.discourse.group/t/community-town-hall-details/24

A few comments and requests:

   1. We promised to hold this town hall after the controversy on Twitter
   following the criticism of the lack of diversity in the NumPy paper author
   list. The town hall was announced on Twitter too (
   https://twitter.com/numpy_team/status/1315742564859949059) and we also
   invited a number of organizations focused on DEI issues in STEM and open
   source, like PyLadies.
   2. The event is focused on outreach, not on project-internal discussion.
   3. Everyone is welcome and encouraged to attend. Please do keep in mind
   that we're focused on a sensitive topic here - the focus is on our
   community building, mentorship, DEI, etc. efforts, so please only weigh in
   on those as a member/representative of the NumPy project if you're (a)
   familiar with our efforts and recent history in this area, and (b)
   comfortable commenting on this topic in public.
   4. This Discourse is new. We set it up because we needed a friendly
   forum with much better moderation tools than either the mailing list or
   Twitter provides. We may aim to keep it if it goes well and we like what
   Discourse has to offer, that's for later to propose and decide. For now
   this Discourse instance is just for this event.

Cheers,
Ralf