[Numpy-discussion] Einops cross-linking from einsum

Stephan Hoyer shoyer at gmail.com
Sun Sep 27 02:08:58 EDT 2020

On Sat, Sep 26, 2020 at 10:53 PM Alex Rogozhnikov <
alex.rogozhnikov at yandex.ru> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I'm developer of einops - python package for readable and reliable tensor
> operations.
> Einops handles different types of tensors (including numpy, pytorch, jax,
> tensorflow and others) and targeted as a verbose replacement to existing
> numpy operations.
>
> As einops now is quite mature project, I suggest linking einops from
> np.einsum function
> (which was an initial point to appearance of this new interface, and many
> einops users previously used einsum)
>
> Not sure about precise implementation - link in 'see also' works.
> Alternatively, I can suggest a single-line description like:
> Operations with similar verbose interface are provided by einops
> <https://github.com/arogozhnikov/einops> package to cover additional
> operations: transpose, reshape/flatten, repeat/tile, squeeze/unsqueeze and
> reductions.
>
> Glad to hear opinions/recommendations.

Hi Alex,

I think this would be a nice idea! Putting a note like this in the "See
also" section seems appropriate to me.

I would also suggest adding a reference to opt-einsum, which provides more
flexible optimization routines for np.einsum.

Cheers,
Stephan