[Numpy-discussion] Is there a defined way to "unpad" an array, and if not, should there be?

Jeff Gostick jgostick at gmail.com
Mon Apr 12 16:13:49 EDT 2021

I often find myself padding an array to do some processing on it (i.e. to
avoid edge artifacts), then I need to remove the padding.  I wish there was
either a built in "unpad" function that accepted the same arguments as
"pad", or that "pad" accepted negative numbers (e.g [-20, -4] would undo a
padding of [20, 4]).  This seems like a pretty obvious feature to me so
maybe I've just missed something, but I have looked through all the open
and closed issues on github and don't see anything related to this.

Jeff G