[Numpy-discussion] Guidelines for floating point comparison

Ilhan Polat ilhanpolat at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 02:33:01 EST 2021

Matrix powers are annoyingly tricky to keep under control due to the fact
that things to explode or implode rather quickly. In fact the famous quote
from Moler, Van Loan "Unfortunately, the roundoff errors in the mth power
of a matrix, say B^m ,are usually small relative to ||B||^m rather than
||B^m||" So thanks for nothing smart people.

Then there is a typical bound on rounding errors of matrix multiplication
which says if C is the exact result and Ce the result of our operation then
for some number k this expression holds  |C - Ce| <= k * |A| * |B| From
that, hoping that matrix power won't result with an error too far from the
manual multiplication, it is a matter of selecting a sensible k for atol
and rtol=0. I would go about this as

(some arbitrary constant I am randomly throwing in)*(matrix size n)*
np.finfo(dtype).eps*norm(A, 1)**k

As an example, get a matrix and artificially bloat the (0,0) entry

n = 100
A = np.random.rand(n, n)
A += np.diag([10.]+[0.]*99)
A4 = np.linalg.matrix_power(A, 4)
AA = A @ A @ A @ A
print('Max entry error', np.max(np.abs(AA-A4)))
print('My atol value', 100*n*np.finfo(A.dtype).eps*np.linalg.norm(A, 1)*4)

This accidentally makes it a tight bound but depending on how wildly your A
varies or how the spectrum of A is structured you might need to change
these constants.