[Numpy-discussion] updated backwards compatibility and deprecation policy NEP

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Sat Jan 2 12:06:16 EST 2021

On Sat, Jan 2, 2021 at 3:55 AM Sebastian Berg <sebastian at sipsolutions.net>
wrote:

> On Wed, 2020-12-30 at 11:43 -0600, Sebastian Berg wrote:
>
> On Wed, 2020-12-30 at 16:27 +0100, Ralf Gommers wrote:
>
> <snip>
>

> That's very hard to describe, since it relies so much on previous
> experience and qualitative judgements. That's the main reason why I
> had
> more examples before, but they just led to more discussion about
> those
> examples - so that didn't quite have the intended effect.
>
> <snip>
>
> I only took a short course and used this very little. I am sure there
> are many here with industry experience where the use of Q&A is every
> day work.

Thanks for thinking about this Sebastian.

I used to use such a risk management approach fairly regularly, and it can
be useful. In general it's something you do for a larger design change or
new product, rather than for an individual change. It helps get an overview
of the main risks, and prompts thinking about risks you may have missed.

> One concept from there is to create a risk/danger and probability
> assessment, which can be ad-hoc for your product.  An example just to
> make something up:
>

> I am not sure anyone finds this interesting or if fits to the NEP
> specifically [1], but I truly think it can be useful (although maybe it
> doesn't need to be formalized). So I fleshed it out:
> https://hackmd.io/WuS1rCzrTYOTgzUfRJUOnw (also pasted it below)

I'd be happy to try it. It does feel a bit too much to put all that content
into the NEP though. Maybe we can just add a more brief "assess severity
and likelihood and severity of your proposed change, and include that
assessment when proposing a deprecation. See <here> for more details". And
then we can link to a wiki page or separate doc page, that we can then
easily update without it being a NEP revision.

Cheers,
Ralf