[Numpy-discussion] Tensor Typing presentation and discussion on Wednesday! (As part of the NumPy Community Meeting)

Matthew Rahtz mrahtz at google.com
Tue Jun 15 05:16:36 EDT 2021

Hi Juan

Thanks for the kind words!

why isn’t there a Subtract operator?

I *think* this is just because the implementation in Pyre is still an early
prototype. Alfonso?

is there a prospect for using actual operators and actual literals here?

That's a really good question. We're optimistic that actual literals should
be possible - we assumed there was some subtle reason we'd have to use
Literal, but when we briefly talked about it at PyCon, Guido was like
"Nope, you should just write a PEP for that". As for actual operators - I
can't think of any *technical* reason this shouldn't be possible - when it
comes time to write a PEP for type arithmetic it's definitely something we
should propose. Alfonso, any thoughts?

Best,
Matthew