[Numpy-discussion] copy="never" discussion and no deprecation cycle?

Stefan van der Walt stefanv at berkeley.edu
Mon Jun 21 12:23:19 EDT 2021

On Sun, Jun 20, 2021, at 20:46, Gagandeep Singh wrote:
> I have recently joined the mailing list and have gone through the previous discussions on this thread. I would like to share my analysis (advantages and disadvantages) of three possible alternatives (Enum, String, boolean) to support the proposed feature.

Thanks for this thorough analysis, Gagandeep!

I'll throw one more heretical idea out there:

`np.copy.IF_NEEDED`, `np.copy.ALWAYS`, `np.copy.NEVER`.

This has the advantages of the enum, doesn't pollute the global namespace, and has an intuitive name.

`np.array(x, copy=np.copy.ALWAYS)`

It would be slightly more awkward to type, but is doable.  A rough Python version sketch would be:

class CopyFlag(enum.Enum):
    IF_NEEDED = 0
    ALWAYS = 1
    NEVER = 2

class NpCopy:
    IF_NEEDED : CopyFlag = CopyFlag.IF_NEEDED
    ALWAYS : CopyFlag = CopyFlag.ALWAYS
    NEVER : CopyFlag = CopyFlag.NEVER

    def __call__(self, x):
        return ...whatever copy returns...