[Numpy-discussion] NEP: array API standard adoption (NEP 47)

Sebastian Berg sebastian at sipsolutions.net
Thu Mar 11 12:07:42 EST 2021

On Thu, 2021-03-11 at 12:37 +0100, Ralf Gommers wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 10, 2021 at 6:41 PM Sebastian Berg <
> sebastian at sipsolutions.net>
> wrote:
>
> > Top Posting, to discuss post specific questions about NEP 47 and
> > partially the start on implementing it in:
> >
> >     https://github.com/numpy/numpy/pull/18585
> >
> > There are probably many more that will crop up. But for me, each of
> > these is a pretty major difficulty without a clear answer as of
> > now.
> >

> All great questions, that Sebastian. Let me reply to the questions
> that
> Aaron didn't reply to inline below.

To be clear, I do not expect complete answers to these questions right
now.  (Although being unsure about some of them does make me slightly
reluctant to merge the work-in-progress into NumPy proper as opposed to
a separate repo.)

Also, yes, most/all questions are hopefully are just trivialities to
check of (or no more than seeds for thought).  Or even just a starting
point for making NEP 47's "Usage and Impact" section more complete
including them as either "example usage patterns" or "limitations".

My second takeaway from the questions is that I have doubts the
"minimal" version will pan out, it feels like many of the questions
might disappear if you drop that part. So, from my current thinking,
the minimal implementation may not be a good "NEP 47" implementation.

That does _not_ mean that I think you should pause and reconsider or
even worry about pleasing me with good answers!  Just continue under
whatever assumption you prefer and if it turns out that "minimal" won't
work for NEP 47: no harm done!  We need a "minimal implementation" in
any case.

Cheers,

Sebastian

[1] If SciPy needs an additional NumPy code path to keep support
`object` arrays or other dtypes – right now even complex –, then the
reader needs to be aware of that to make a decision if NEP 47 will
actually help for their library.
Will AstroPy have to reimplement `astropy.units.Quantity` to be
"standard conform" (is that even possible!?) before it can easily adopt
it any of its API that currently works with `astropy.units.Quantity`?