[Numpy-discussion] NEP: array API standard adoption (NEP 47)

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Mon Mar 15 16:14:00 EDT 2021

On Thu, Mar 11, 2021 at 6:08 PM Sebastian Berg <sebastian at sipsolutions.net>
wrote:

> On Thu, 2021-03-11 at 12:37 +0100, Ralf Gommers wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 10, 2021 at 6:41 PM Sebastian Berg <
> > sebastian at sipsolutions.net>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Top Posting, to discuss post specific questions about NEP 47 and
> > > partially the start on implementing it in:
> > >
> > >     https://github.com/numpy/numpy/pull/18585
> > >
> > > There are probably many more that will crop up. But for me, each of
> > > these is a pretty major difficulty without a clear answer as of
> > > now.
> > >

> > All great questions, that Sebastian. Let me reply to the questions
> > that
> > Aaron didn't reply to inline below.
> >

> To be clear, I do not expect complete answers to these questions right
> now.  (Although being unsure about some of them does make me slightly
> reluctant to merge the work-in-progress into NumPy proper as opposed to
> a separate repo.)
>
> Also, yes, most/all questions are hopefully are just trivialities to
> check of (or no more than seeds for thought).  Or even just a starting
> point for making NEP 47's "Usage and Impact" section more complete
> including them as either "example usage patterns" or "limitations".

Yes, those are always good to have more of.

> My second takeaway from the questions is that I have doubts the
> "minimal" version will pan out, it feels like many of the questions
> might disappear if you drop that part.

My impression is that a strictly compliant (or "minimal") version is *more*
useful than something that's a mix between portable and non-portable
functionality. The reason to add more than the minimum required
functionality would be that it's too hard to hide the numpy-specific
extras. E.g., if we'd do `np.array_api.int32 = np.int32` then that dtype
would have methods and behavior that's NumPy-specific. But it'd be hard to
hide, so we'd accept it.

It's maybe easier to discuss in a call, I've put it on the community
meeting agenda.

> So, from my current thinking,
> the minimal implementation may not be a good "NEP 47" implementation.
>
> That does _not_ mean that I think you should pause and reconsider or
> even worry about pleasing me with good answers!  Just continue under
> whatever assumption you prefer and if it turns out that "minimal" won't
> work for NEP 47: no harm done!  We need a "minimal implementation" in
> any case.

Yes, I agree.

> Cheers,
>
> Sebastian
>

> [1] If SciPy needs an additional NumPy code path to keep support
> `object` arrays or other dtypes – right now even complex –, then the
> reader needs to be aware of that to make a decision if NEP 47 will
> actually help for their library.

Clearly. This is why we'd like to have some WIP PRs for other libraries,
actual code to review will be more helpful than only a proposal.

> Will AstroPy have to reimplement `astropy.units.Quantity` to be
> "standard conform" (is that even possible!?) before it can easily adopt
> it any of its API that currently works with `astropy.units.Quantity`?

I'm not sure if the question is well-defined, so let me answer both cases:

1. If the APIs in question require units, then there's no other
array/tensor types that have unit support, so those APIs accept *only*
Quantity. Adopting the standard isn't possible.

2. If the units are unnecessary/optional, then Quantity is not special and
can be treated exactly the same as a `numpy.ndarray`. We don't intend to
make any changes to how ndarray subclasses work, so if ndarray works with
that API after adoption of the standard then Quantity works too.

Cheers,
Ralf