[Numpy-discussion] Proposal to accept NEP 49: Data allocation strategies

Eric Wieser wieser.eric+numpy at gmail.com
Tue May 11 04:54:37 EDT 2021

> Yes, sorry, had been a while since I had looked it up:
>
> https://docs.python.org/3/c-api/memory.html#c.PyMemAllocatorEx

That `PyMemAllocatorEx` looks almost exactly like one of the two variants I
was proposing. Is there a reason for wanting to define our own structure vs
just using that one?
I think the NEP should at least offer a brief comparison to that structure,
even if we ultimately end up not using it.

> That all looks like it can be customized in theory. But I am not sure
> that it is practical, except for hooking and calling the previous one.

Is chaining allocators not likely something we want to support too? For
instance, an allocator that is used for large arrays, but falls back to the
previous one for small arrays?

> I have to say it feels a bit
> like exposing things publicly, that are really mainly used internally,
> but not sure...  Presumably Python uses the `ctx` for something though.

I'd argue `ctx` / `baton` / `user_data` arguments are an essential part of
any C callback API.
I can't find any particularly good reference for this right now, but I have
been bitten multiple times by C APIs that forget to add this argument.

>  If someone wants a different strategy (i.e. different alignment) they
create a new policy

The crux of the problem here is that without very nasty hacks, C and C++ do
not allow new functions to be created at runtime.
This makes it very awkward to write a parameterizable allocator. If you
want to create two aligned allocators with different alignments, and you
don't have a `ctx` argument to plumb through that alignment information,
you're forced to write the entire thing twice.

> I guess the C++ similarity may be a reason, but I am not familiar with
that.

Similarity isn't the only motivation - I was considering compatibility.
Consider a user who's already written a shiny stateful C++ allocator, and
wants to use it with numpy.
I've made a gist at
https://gist.github.com/eric-wieser/6d0fde53fc1ba7a2fa4ac208467f2ae5 which
demonstrates how to hook an arbitrary C++ allocator into this new numpy
allocator API, that compares both the NEP version and the version with an
added `ctx` argument.
The NEP version has a bug that is very hard to fix without duplicating the
entire `numpy_handler_from_cpp_allocator` function.

If compatibility with C++ seems too much of a stretch, the NEP API is not
even compatible with `PyMemAllocatorEx`.

> But right now the proposal says this is static, and I honestly don't
> see much reason for it to be freeable?  The current use-cases `cupy` or
> `pnumpy` don't not seem to need it.

I don't know much about either of these use cases, so the following is
speculative.
In cupy, presumably the application is to tie allocation to a specific GPU
device.
Presumably then, somewhere in the python code there is a handle to a GPU
object, through which the allocators operate.
If that handle is stored in the allocator, and the allocator is freeable,
then it is possible to write code that automatically releases the GPU
handle after the allocator has been restored to the default and the last
array using it is cleaned up.

If that cupy use-case seems somwhat plausible, then I think we should go
with the PyObject approach.
If it doesn't seem plausible, then I think the `ctx` approach is
acceptable, and we should consider declaring our struct
```struct { PyMemAllocatorEx allocator; char const *name; }``` to reuse the
existing python API unless there's a reason not to.

Eric