[omaha] Meeting Notes

Charles Kaminski ckaminski at datascoutinc.com
Mon Aug 11 19:28:22 CEST 2008

5 people is a great place to start.  Perhapse more will want to join as we
keep going.

Personally, I would like a project that is powerful, has a wide scientific &
corporate appeal, and where implementing it in python could have significant
advantages in simplifying it's implementation, use, and maintenance.

I don't know if it's been done before, but on the top of that list could be
an enterprise map-reduce architecture implemented soley in python;
similar in function to google's implementation or hadoop's.  We could call
it hapy or pydoop :).  The current implementations out there are powerful
and popular, but require a singificant amount of research, testing, and
issue solving within multiple technologies for the unininitiated; (ssh,
java, bash, linux, various settings files, etc) -- as well as a
multi-layered architecture to sift through when something goes wrong.  It
would be great to unify all of this in one solution that is easy to
implement, use, and improve.  It could have huge potential to be extremely
popular and useful.

We'll, I'm just one voice, and others have expressed an interest in certain
projects (ChemChains, pygame, home automation).  Given that there is interst
in an opensource project, we should probably move on to an open request for
specific projects and goals, and let the group discuss and decide.

-CK