[omaha] amusing template engine story

Jeff Hinrichs - DM&T jeffh at dundeemt.com
Sat Feb 9 17:36:21 CET 2008

On Feb 9, 2008 8:54 AM, Jay Hannah <jay at jays.net> wrote:
> On Feb 9, 2008, at 8:51 AM, Jay Hannah wrote:
> >    My current HTML Dic-o-Matic:  http://catalyst.perl.org/
>
> err... Dice-O-Matic    :)
>
>     http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Popeil

Just read a blog post the other day on Planet Python where they
actually encouraged people to at least try and write their own
templating system once for the experience.  The truth of the matter is
in the link -- templating takes a very small portion of overall time
so when I am coding in Python I normally use Cheetah.  It's productive
with it's simplest features and if you need more it's there.
<rant>The other big plus is that it doesn't require xml - a number of
templating solutions won't even play ball it it's not a well formed
xml doc -- sorry but not everything requires xml.  I require my tools
to multi-task and not everything I do is a web page<g> nor xml
output.</rant>

Since 2.4 python has had String.Template -- maybe I should write another <g>
--
Jeff Hinrichs
Dundee Media & Technology, Inc
jeffh at dundeemt.com