[omaha] amusing template engine story

Jeff Hinrichs - DM&T jeffh at dundeemt.com
Tue Feb 12 01:14:17 CET 2008

On Feb 11, 2008 10:45 AM, Matthew Nuzum <newz at bearfruit.org> wrote:
> On Feb 9, 2008 10:36 AM, Jeff Hinrichs - DM&T <jeffh at dundeemt.com> wrote:
>

> > Just read a blog post the other day on Planet Python where they
> > actually encouraged people to at least try and write their own
> > templating system once for the experience.  The truth of the matter is
> > in the link -- templating takes a very small portion of overall time
> > so when I am coding in Python I normally use Cheetah.  It's productive
> > with it's simplest features and if you need more it's there.
> > <rant>The other big plus is that it doesn't require xml - a number of
> > templating solutions won't even play ball it it's not a well formed
> > xml doc -- sorry but not everything requires xml.  I require my tools
> > to multi-task and not everything I do is a web page<g> nor xml
> > output.</rant>
> >

> I'm not disagreeing with you, I use Mako and chose it because of the
> non-requirement for XML, but to clarify, other templating tools like xslt
> require valid xml input (the template must be XML) but the output can be
> whatever... csv, .txt, poorly formed html, etc.

After rereading my post it does appear that I am implying that they
only produce xml output, which as you point out is not true.
> Still, someone once said that it's cruel to make humans grok xml and I
> agree.
xml can be verbose and cruel, and while I am not anti-xml, I just
insist that there is a reason greater than "because" before I use
it<g>.  But that is not specific to xml, for example,  I don't tend to
use RE's until they are called for either.  Most simple string
searches don't require regular expressions however this is a point
where non-RE methods don't make sense anymore.  Kind of a simplest
that works first ideology.<g>  But hey, I'm a simple guy.