[omaha] CouchDB

Jeff Hinrichs - DM&T jeffh at dundeemt.com
Tue Jul 8 15:17:29 CEST 2008

On Mon, Jul 7, 2008 at 11:24 PM, Matthew Nuzum <newz at bearfruit.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 7, 2008 at 9:48 PM, Jeff Hinrichs - DM&T <jeffh at dundeemt.com> wrote:
>> If couchdb works the way I think/hope/expect it will, this type of
>> project will become trivial.
>
> Did you feel constrained by the lack of a relational model? This part
> seems the most mysterious to me because of my ingrained concept of
> rdbms.
I haven't used it enough to give a good response to your question.
I've played with AppEngine, which also doesn't support joins.  And
I've been programming long enough to have used file based database
managers -- ala btrieve type mechanisms which didn't have or enforce
relational concepts -- so, I don't think the mental leap is going to
be noticeable.  However, the CouchDB people will be the first to tell
you that CouchDB is not a replacement for relational databases.  So
not all problem domains fit within the scope of the project.

Currently my mental picture of CouchDB is along the lines of BeFS -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Be_File_System . This is a poor picture
as Couch is both more and less but both share many of the same
attributes, that are important to me for the current project.
Extended Meta data, ability to query on that meta data in an ad hoc
fashion and extremely short recovery time in the event of power loss.

>> On a completely different tack, anyone out there use svk?  We use
>> subversion internally but recently I've come to the conclusion that
>> some of our projects would be well served with some distributed vcs
>> capabilities.
>
> There's a nice plugin for bzr that lets you use it as a front end for
> subversion. Definitely worth investigation. I've switched to using bzr
> for most of my work and I find using subversion alone very
> frustrating. It seems so archaic for commits to require a connection
> to the server.
>
> http://bazaar-vcs.org/BzrForeignBranches/Subversion
>
> >From a technical perspective, Bzr is an awesome piece of python code.
Have you used Bzr + svn with this plugin?  How different did you find
the commands?
Ok, now that was a dumb question after I googled and discovered your
connection with Canonical.

Too bad Des Moines is 2 hours away, makes coming to meetings a non-starter.<g>

-Jeff