[omaha] CouchDB

Jeff Hinrichs - DM&T jeffh at dundeemt.com
Wed Jul 9 02:54:45 CEST 2008

On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 8:53 AM, Matthew Nuzum <newz at bearfruit.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 8:17 AM, Jeff Hinrichs - DM&T <jeffh at dundeemt.com> wrote:
>>> There's a nice plugin for bzr that lets you use it as a front end for
>>> subversion. Definitely worth investigation. I've switched to using bzr
>>> for most of my work and I find using subversion alone very
>>> frustrating. It seems so archaic for commits to require a connection
>>> to the server.
>>>
>>> http://bazaar-vcs.org/BzrForeignBranches/Subversion
>
>> Have you used Bzr + svn with this plugin?  How different did you find
>> the commands?
>> Ok, now that was a dumb question after I googled and discovered your
>> connection with Canonical.
>
> I used bzr + svn a while back but I don't know if it was this plugin
> or an older one. I've since deleted it. Basically you just use the
> normal bzr interface.
>
> I didn't want to mention the Canonical connection because I felt it
> would cheapen my endorsement of bzr (if you felt I used it because I
> had to). It really is a great product. I've not used other dvcs tools
> except when I copy and pasted commands from some open source website
> in order to get their code. So I've used git and hg very briefly. As
> far as I can tell they work about the same. I can't say which is
> better but the fact that bzr has a cool logo (which I made from a
> picture of an Iowa highway sign :-) should definitely sway your
> opinion. ;-) The biggest change is going from a centralized vcs to
> dvcs.
Your endorsement isn't any less in my view because of Canonical --
others may disagree, but developers who actually use things don't tend
to stretch the truth about their tools.   In general, techs tend to be
more honest and nuanced about what they use and what they like --
marketroids (people who pitch stuff they don't use personally), don't
give off the same vibe when they are talking about a technical matter.
>> Too bad Des Moines is 2 hours away, makes coming to meetings a non-starter.<g>
>>

> I will work on getting out there. The 2 hours isn't the biggest
> barrier, it's more the combination of family and other commitments.
That would be great -- we'd even make room for you to talk if have
something you would like to present.  You could even show off Bzr,
maybe get canonical to comp you the time<g>.  During the summer, the
meetings are much smaller.  In fact, with the last meeting so close to
the Holiday -- I ended up being the only one there. (First time that
has happened.)  It was my fault, the meeting sneaked up on me and
there wasn't enough time to change the date -- live and learn<g>

> --
> Matthew Nuzum
> newz2000 on freenode

Jeff Hinrichs