[omaha] String Concatenation

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Sun Jun 8 19:08:18 CEST 2008

On 6/7/08, Matt Harriger <mharriger at gmail.com> wrote:
>  On Sat, Jun 7, 2008 at 4:12 PM, freeav8r <freeav8r at yahoo.com> wrote:
>  > When you type in a form on a web page, any non ascii characters get
>  > converted to their &#; equivalent.  As an example,, the capital D with a
>  > horizontal line gets converted to &#272.
>  >
>  > Is there a python module out there that will do this for unicode characters
>  > with no ascii equivalent?
>
> ord(uchar) (where uchar is a unicode string of length 1) will return the
>  unicode codepoint for the given char, so ord(Đ) returns 272. "&#" +
>  str(ord(uchar)) would give you the full HTML entity representation for that
>  character.

One of my first real python programs was incredibly slow because I
used a lot of string concatenation. (Since strings are immutable in
python changing them is slow)

Now, whenever possible, I use the equiv of:
  d = ["hello", "world"]
  s = ' '.join(d)

Is doing what Matt H suggested above (i.e. s = a + b + c) the slow
kind of concatenation or is this fast since it's not actually
modifying a string (i.e. s += b)?

--
Matthew Nuzum
newz2000 on freenode