[omaha] Web Host Opinion Poll

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Sun Nov 9 21:25:06 CET 2008

On Sat, Nov 8, 2008 at 10:29 PM, Chad Homan <choman at gmail.com> wrote:
> Looking for a community opinion on the "top 5" web hosting providers.
>
> Specifically a linux based web hosting service, reasonably priced,
> descent uptime and response time. etc.

I can't tell you top 5, I can only tell you who I've had good experience with:

 * I have a bluehost hosting account that is great. It's cheap, they
provide a nice configuration + SSH access. Despite the low cost I've
had great performance. I have never had to contact support. However,
as with most shared hosting setups, results can vary widely depending
on who you share the server with. :-/

 * I have a server pronto dedicated server too - this is a great deal.
The servers are very inexpensive, the support is good but telephone
support costs extra. I know from experience supporting a commercial
app I helped write years ago that support is one of the biggest
expenses, so you get basic email/web based support for free and other
stuff costs per incident. I've never had to pay for support doing
typical stuff and have gotten great response times when dealing with
them.

 * I can also recommend phpwebhosting.com as a good service I have
personally used in the past. If you only look at the numbers they
don't fare well because they don't promise insane amounts of
everything. However as long as you're doing genuine web hosting type
stuff they'll give you whatever you need. The limits are there to
prevent abuse.

For the first two services, since I'm actively using them I have
"refer a friend/affiliate" links that give me credit towards my costs
and I always appreciate when people use them. They are:

bluehost: http://www.kqzyfj.com/email-2076585-10376734 is $95/year
($7.95/mo - cheaper for 2 year plan) A domain name is included free of
charge.
server pronto: http://www.tkqlhce.com/email-2076585-10356147 is $29/mo
for basic dedicated server
Just note with server pronto there's no monthly charge for increasing
a server's ram, there's just a one-time up front fee to upgrade so max
it out for the config you choose at the beginning. I ordered mine with
three IP addresses and configured it with two virtual servers, so it
appears (config wise) that I have three servers. I love it. I use the
free ispconfig web control panel so it's easy to create virtual sites
and email accounts.

I've had some bad hosting experiences but I won't mention them under
the assumption that my cases were isolated. I will not go with an
ultra-cheap (under $5/mo) company though - it seems to be a common
denominator of problematic hosts.

--
Matthew Nuzum
newz2000 on freenode