[omaha] KeyCzar - who knew?

Jeff Hinrichs - DM&T jeffh at dundeemt.com
Thu Jan 29 04:19:16 CET 2009

Hey I just came across this, http://www.keyczar.org/
"Keyczar is an open source cryptographic toolkit designed to make it
easier and safer for developers to use cryptography in their
applications. Keyczar supports authentication and encryption with both
symmetric and asymmetric keys. Some features of Keyczar include:

    * A simple API
    * Key rotation and versioning
    * Safe default algorithms, modes, and key lengths
    * Automated generation of initialization vectors and ciphertext signatures
    * Java and Python implementations (C++ coming soon)
    * International support in Java (Python coming soon)
"
The Google security team project to make good security easy for Python
and Java.  I'm just reading through the docs now but if it can deliver
on it's goals  -- nice.  Doing encryption well is hard -- even using
good tools you can make mistakes.

If you knew about this or have used it/played etc, I'd like to hear
what you have to say.

-Jeff