[omaha] Python Editors (was :Upcoming Meeting Topic ?)

Jeff Hinrichs - DM&T jeffh at dundeemt.com
Tue Nov 10 18:27:12 CET 2009

On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 10:56 AM, Brad Siegfreid <brad at iridiumdesign.com> wrote:
> On Mac I use TextMate for Django work. There are some good plugins for it with short cuts and syntax highlighting. Its not an IDE by any stretch but its a top notch text editor. I'd rather have a great editor than a mediocre IDE any day.
>
> For my day job I use IntelliJ IDEA for Java work and it is a very nice IDE. I haven't tried the latest version or with anything other than Java. Unfortunately working with Python and Django has totally ruined any remain interest in Java.
>

> On Nov 10, 2009, at 10:43 AM, Matthew Nuzum wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 9:52 AM, Mike Hostetler <mike at hostetlerhome.com> wrote:
>>> You mean there is something besides Emacs? j/k
>>>

>> I have never found an editor that works good at anything out of the
>> box. They always need tweaking. And the teaks that make an editor good
>> for one task don't always work best for other tasks.
>>
>> Since what I do tends to be so varied in recent times I've found that
>> an IDE doesn't fit. If I were just doing Java or just PHP or just
>> Python then maybe I would switch back to an IDE again.
>>
>> I've found the three editors I use the most are vim (for console),
>> gedit (when I'm in Ubuntu) and textwrangler (when I'm in Mac OS). They
>> need only minor tweaking to be useful for a variety of tasks.
>>
>> I have wished I had a django aware code environment so that when
>> coding I didn't have to drop to a terminal to launch the dev server or
>> run django command line commands. I've also wished for a good debugger
>> that integrated right into my editor. PHP is just now getting this
>> kind of stuff working nicely which means we may have to wait another 5
>> years before it's working right for Django.
>>
>> --
>> Matthew Nuzum
>> newz2000 on freenode, skype, linkedin, identi.ca and twitter

While I haven't tried it, it looks like debugging django with Komodo
is possible:
  http://community.activestate.com/forum-topic/debugging-django-apps
  http://code.google.com/p/django-komodo-kit/

With Wingware:
  http://www.wingware.com/doc/howtos/django
 The comment from Doug Napoleone carries some weight -- he is the lead
for the pycon site.

The comment about using multiple editors/ide's applies to me too.  I
like Komodo, but I use gedit and vim quite a bit too.  When I'm
refactoring with pyLint I use scite.  A lot of times I find myself
plunging from python to php to yaml to flex, komodo for the most part
works for that.  But editors are like beers -- I have my preferred but
I'll take what you got;

--
Jeff Hinrichs
Dundee Media & Technology, Inc