[omaha] [PythonInfo Wiki] Update of "OmahaPythonUserGroup" by StefanBehnel

python.org wiki wiki at python.org
Sat Feb 26 10:57:09 CET 2011

Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "PythonInfo Wiki" for change notification.

The "OmahaPythonUserGroup" page has been changed by StefanBehnel:
http://wiki.python.org/moin/OmahaPythonUserGroup?action=diff&rev1=29&rev2=30

  The graphics capabilities brought out some questions about graphing packages available to Python.  Jeff recalled a recent blog entry by Fuzzyman a.k.a Michael Foord (http://www.voidspace.org.uk/python/weblog/) about him looking for a graphing package to use with IronPython (http://www.voidspace.org.uk/python/weblog/arch_d7_2007_06_23.shtml#e753).  A bit of googling and gnuplot (http://gnuplot.info/) was found.

- Next was a question about xml parsers from someone new to Python and while no one was definitive, we suggested that they look at elementtree (http://docs.python.org/lib/module-xml.etree.ElementTree.html) and lxml (http://codespeak.net/lxml/index.html)
+ Next was a question about xml parsers from someone new to Python and while no one was definitive, we suggested that they look at elementtree (http://docs.python.org/lib/module-xml.etree.ElementTree.html) and lxml (http://lxml.de/)

  The conversation then drifted towards web development.  We had a java programmer in the group who has been recently been using Django (http://www.djangoproject.com/) and is becoming enamored with Python.  We gabbed about storm (https://storm.canonical.com/) and news about how the TurboGears had started implementing TG2 (http://www.blueskyonmars.com/2007/06/27/turbogears-2-a-reinvention-and-back-to-its-roots/)  as an abstraction on top of Pylons (http://pylonshq.com/).  There was also talk of mod_wsgi (http://www.modwsgi.org/) and how it is different than mod_python (http://www.modpython.org/).  Jeff shared a little bit about mod_wsgi's embedded and daemon modes he had picked up from Graham's recent blog entry (http://blog.dscpl.com.au/2007/07/web-hosting-landscape-and-modwsgi.html).