[omaha] PSF Sprints - Call For Applications

Brian Curtin brian.curtin at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 21:48:00 CET 2011

Hello Omaha Python Users!

On behalf of the Python Software Foundation’s sponsored sprint group, I
wanted to drop your group a quick note introducing us. If you’re already
familiar with our sponsored sprints, you’ll be happy to know we made a few
changes to help both sprint groups and Python even more.

The PSF recently set aside funding to be distributed to groups who spend
time contributing to the Python ecosystem, often in the form of development
sprints. Our goal is to help you help Python, so whether it’s buying meals
or renting meeting space for your all-day hackathon, we have a budget set
aside to reimburse your expenses up to $300 USD (up from $250).
If your goal is to make the Python world a better place, and you work on the
problems facing Python today, we want to help you. We’re looking for groups
of hackers that spend their time fixing and expanding the wide variety of
Python interpreters, libraries, tools, and anything else affecting the
community.We’re also looking for groups who want to help and get started but
don’t have the resources to get together. Whether your group is separated by
a train ride or lacking a shared space, we want to help you. On-boarding new
contributors to open source Python projects is an especially important area
that we’d like to work with.This means if you have a Python project and you
want to sprint -- we want to help you.Some sprints we’ve sponsored include
the porting of Genshi to Python 3, improvements to packaging
(Distribute/distutils), and most recently, the PyPy winter sprint in
Switzerland.

If your group is interested in hosting a sprint, check out the full details
of our call for applications at http://www.pythonsprints.com/cfa/ and
contact us at sprints at python.org.

Thanks for your time, and happy sprinting!

Brian Curtin
Jesse Noller
http://www.pythonsprints.com/ <http://pythonsprints.com/>