[omaha] Django Debug Toolbar

Mike Hostetler mike at hostetlerhome.com
Fri Feb 17 20:09:49 CET 2012

On 02/17/2012 12:06 PM, Steve Young wrote:
> Anyone tried this out? If so, was it useful?
> https://github.com/django-debug-toolbar/django-debug-toolbar

I've used it too -- it does help you figure out why pages are slow, etc.
Like an Admin Listing page in Satchmo taking  1400 queries to bring up.
Egads.

> A short video from a couple of years ago here:  http://vimeo.com/6640136
>
> I am about thru the Practical Django Projects book - it has been very
> helpful - although it would have been tough if someone hadn't posted the
> updated code for 1.3 on github.
>
> I also found a nice Django cheat sheet here:
> http://www.revsys.com/django/cheatsheet/
>
> Django is nice because it does so much, but it is almost like learning a
> new language!
Django is an interesting beast -- it's a subset of Python but sometimes
keep knowledge of Python can hurt more than help. I have manage a fairly
large Satchmo site (ecommerce engine for Django) and the site stuff
wasn't hard, but the offline processes that re-do inventory and
processes every night have been troublesome. I had to learn how to
manage transactions, clear the DB cache, etc.

For the record, the site is:
http://www.powerhousetoolparts.com/ <http://www.powerhousetoolparts.com//>

(I take no credit for the design -- I purely did the backend).