[omaha] Django Debug Toolbar

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Fri Feb 17 22:48:00 CET 2012

On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 12:06 PM, Steve Young <wereapwhatwesow at gmail.com>wrote:

> Anyone tried this out? If so, was it useful?
> https://github.com/django-debug-toolbar/django-debug-toolbar
>
> A short video from a couple of years ago here:  http://vimeo.com/6640136

It can be quite helpful. For example, I found a page where I needed to use
select_related to reduce the number of queries from n+1 to simply 2.

> I am about thru the Practical Django Projects book - it has been very
> helpful - although it would have been tough if someone hadn't posted the
> updated code for 1.3 on github.
>
> I also found a nice Django cheat sheet here:
> http://www.revsys.com/django/cheatsheet/
>
> Django is nice because it does so much, but it is almost like learning a
> new language!

Yes, it is different. I like it a lot and use it for work and for fun.
However it is not a magic bullet. (Nor is Rails)

Frameworks like Django make some common tasks trivial, but the 80/20 rule
always applies. 80% of your time is spent on the last 20% of the project.
And a helpful library doesn't mean you don't still need good software
engineering. It just does some of the brainless tasks for you.

--
Matthew Nuzum