[Overload-sig] Gmane may be shutting down

Stephen J. Turnbull turnbull.stephen.fw at u.tsukuba.ac.jp
Sat Jul 30 03:11:30 EDT 2016

Guido van Rossum writes:

 > Companies using open source really need to take care better of their
 > infrastructure,

A bunch of ideas about this occured to me, but I decided this is not
the place or time.  If you can't wait for the blog post (nb, I don't
have a blog at the moment :-þ), write me off-list.

 > > If gmane is shut down it will impact the accessibility of our MM2
 > > lists I suspect as gmane seems to be popular enough, so our work
 > > may have just become a bit more important.

That depends on whether Gmane users use the web interface or the NNTP
interface.  If the latter, MM2 has a bidirectional mail<->news
gateway.  I guess we'd need to spin up a separate news server, but we
could restrict it to carrying python.org lists.  MM3 doesn't have an
NNTP gateway yet, but it shouldn't be hard to add one.

As I mentioned, I'm now free to do socially useful things.  I will get
in touch with Mark to get the MM3 version of this list running.  I
will post an annotated, tentative agenda after reviewing earlier posts
on this list and on the Discourse instance.  I expect that will elicit
additional items (ones I missed and ones suggested to somebody by the
list), and some items will be postponed indefinitely.

Steve