[Overload-sig] Should we import old MM discussions into e.g. Discourse?

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Fri Jun 24 10:41:57 EDT 2016

On Jun 23, 2016, at 01:22 PM, Donald Stufft wrote:

>This is two things I think, I totally agree we should not break those
>existing links and we should keep piper mail running forever in read-only
>mode. When it comes to importing the old discussions, I think there is
>benefit to them:

I definitely don't think we should ever *remove* the old Pipermail archives,
but there's still benefit in importing them into Hyperkitty.  Pipermail
urls are not guaranteed to be stable, and in fact our postmasters have
inadvertently broken urls for one or two archives in the past, by accidentally
regenerating them.

Hyperkitty urls are permanent; they will never change even if the databases
are regenerated.  MM3 also uses a protocol to "pre-determine" the permalink
for a message based on the Message-ID (which is for all practical purposes,
unique) and a base archiver url, without interaction of the archiver, which is
something Pipermail also can't do.

It may be possible to use this protocol to auto-generate redirects from
Pipermail to Hyperkitty.

Cheers,
-Barry