[Overload-sig] Experimenting on real-world groups with potential solutions

Kevin Ollivier kevin-lists at theolliviers.com
Sun Jun 26 21:35:50 EDT 2016

On 6/26/16, 6:10 PM, "Guido van Rossum" <gvanrossum at gmail.com on behalf of guido at python.org> wrote:

>Are you guys intentionally repeating this pointless debate?
>
>Proving that the discussion was misguided doesn't change the problem,
>which is that it nevertheless happened. I don't think Stephen is
>claiming that the debate *should* have happened. He is just pointing
>out *that* it happened. This merely illustrates that people don't
>always behave rationally.

I don't think he was arguing it should have happened, but I did feel our thoughts on the underlying causes, and thus the fixes, for this sort of problem were different.

In either case, I agree the discussion has become unproductive. When the issue tracker stuff comes into focus, I would suggest we consider adding a requirement to produce a valid use case or test case before proposing a bug or API fix. That's the point I was pushing for, and I was just using the previous case as an example of how it could have changed the trajectory of how that all happened.

Thanks,

Kevin