[Pandas-dev] Pandas Sprint Recap

Stephan Hoyer shoyer at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 14:41:50 EDT 2018

Hi Wes and Tom,

I'm sorry I missed the sprint, but this looks like a great plan!

My main concern would be figuring out how to smoothly transition from
exposing the NumPy API directly to users to a separate abstraction layer.
The "mixed" semantics of dtype and values in pandas (sometimes matching
NumPy, sometimes not) is highly confusing, especially with incremental
changes for data types in new releases of pandas. There is still a lot of
code that relies on the internal representation of pandas.Series as a
wrapper over a NumPy array.

I wonder if it would be possible to do a hard break in 1.0 that switches
everything over to a pandas dtype system, even if it is currently just a
wrapper over NumPy. Or maybe that would be too large of a change to do
right now, and it would be enough to merely stabilize the set of numpy vs
pandas dtypes for the 1.X series.

Cheers,
Stephan