[Pandas-dev] New website infrastructure

Stephen Simmons mail at stevesimmons.com
Wed Aug 21 18:42:45 EDT 2019

Marc,

What is the cost of the servers? My company may be able to cover that.

Thanks

Stephen

Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2019 23:06:30 +0100

From: Marc Garcia <garcia.marc at gmail.com>
To: pandas-dev <pandas-dev at python.org>
Subject: [Pandas-dev] New website infrastructure

Somehow related to the work on the new website (
https://github.com/pandas-dev/pandas/pull/28014), I've been discussing with
the Binder team, and looks like should be quite easy soon (with a Sphinx
extension) to make all the documentation pages runnable with Binder,
directly from the website (without opening the page as a Jupyter in
mybinder).

While they are very happy with the idea of having this is pandas, it's
uncertain if the current infrastructure Binder has got, is able to handle
all the traffic we would send. And scikit-learn is working on it too (today
they added to the dev docs a link to mybinder to run the examples).

I'm discussing with OVH (their infrastructure provider) on whether they'd
be happy to provide a dedicated BinderHub specific to pandas (or may be we
can have one for all NumFOCUS projects). We'll see how it goes, but wanted
to let you know, so you're updated, and in case anyone is interested in
participating in the discussions. Of course before any decision is made
I'll open a discussion here or on GitHub.

As part of the discussion I'm also trying to get a server for the website,
and one for development stuff. Specfically for the dev docs (including
rendered docs of every PR) and the GitHub app that will generate them. I
guess it should be very easy to find a sponsor for these two servers (in
exchange of a small note in the footer of the website, or something like
that).

Let me know if you have any comment, want to be involved or whatever.

Cheers!