[Pandas-dev] [pydata] Is there a place for general discussion of pandas?

Joris Van den Bossche jorisvandenbossche at gmail.com
Sun Jan 6 21:13:24 EST 2019

Op ma 7 jan. 2019 om 01:05 schreef John E <eiler13 at gmail.com>:

> On this I think I disagree: there are actually 3 "places":
>> - the bug tracker ("discussion issues" are not uncommon)
>> - the pandas-dev mailing list (probably a better choice for more
>> articulated discussions on pandas development)
>> - the occasional pandas development hangouts
>>

> I didn't even know about the mailing list but that is obviously dev only.
> I only found it by googling and have not seen it generally publicized and
> to be clear I certainly think there should be dev only channels that avoid
> the riff raff like me.  ;-)
>
> We indeed could do a better job communicating about those different
channels.
But, about pandas-dev mailing list: it is indeed for development-related
questions, but that does not mean it only to be used by "developers" (in
the sense of developing pandas). For me, what you mention about users that
want to interact with developers about eg the roadmap, that is something
perfectly fitting to discuss on the pandas-dev mailing list.

In general, it would be nice to see more interaction between interested
users and direct developers on roadmap and API discussions, and of the
current channels, I think pandas-dev is the most appropriate for that at
this time (if it is something not specific enough to be discussed on a
github issue).

That doesn't mean we can't think about other / better channels, though.
There is currently some exploration of discourse in a couple of python
communities (eg core python devs, jupyter)