[Pandas-dev] EA Naming Conventions

Brock Mendel jbrockmendel at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 17:29:54 EST 2023

For historical reasons we've built up an EA namespace without much internal
logic in terms of what is public/private.  While this isn't _that_ big of a
deal, it'd be nice to make this more coherent.  I see two useful options:

1) Use the traditional "an underscore means this should only be called from
within self".  Very few methods on the base class satisfy that
characteristic, including the constructor _from_sequence.  One benefit of
moving to this is it would make "official" that we shouldn't be using
_values_for_foo from outside EA methods.

2) Use underscores to signal to 3rd party authors whether or not there
exists a working (not necessarily performant) implementation on the base
class.  In this scenario authors would _have_ to implement private methods,
while implementing public methods would be optional.

Thoughts?