[Persistence-sig] getting started

Steve Menard smenard@bigfoot.com
Wed, 10 Jul 2002 12:31:31 -0400

At 12:00 PM 7/10/2002 -0400, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> > > What is the competition doing in this area?
> > Hm, nothing I'm aware of, but that's the point: staying ahead
> > in some important areas just helps, doesn't it?
>
>I dunno.  I personally believe there's a reason why few languages
>standardize persistence, and why languages that do include persistence
>have remained at the fringe at best.
>
>--Guido van Rossum (home page: http://www.python.org/~guido/)

Could you elaborate on why you believe so?

I know the technical hurdles will not be insignificant, and we have to be
careful not to try to come up with "THE ONE TRUE SOLUTION" that would be
supposed to solve everyone's problems. Personally, something like ZOPE,
with a few enhancements and guaranteed to work on any platform (read
pure-python), would go a LONG way ion the right direction.

More static languages like C++, Java, Eiffel etc.. will naturally have a
harder time creating versatile and easy to use persistence. That's where
python's dynamic nature should help us.

         Steve