[Persistence-sig] "Straw Man" transaction API

Phillip J. Eby pje@telecommunity.com
Fri, 19 Jul 2002 12:02:37 -0400

One further comment on the Straw Man transaction API...  I believe that the
Python transaction API should issue Python warnings for problematic
conditions, rather than write to a logger (such as zLOG in the current ZODB
transactions).

IMHO, even though 2.3 will include a logging mdoule, I'm not comfortable
with the idea of a transaction co-ordinator itself issuing log messages,
especially given the complexity of the logging package that's the main
contender for implementing the logging PEP.  I'd rather have something
extremely simple, and warnings seem to me like the way to, well, issue
warnings.  :)

If there's conflict about this point, though, I'd be okay with isolating
either log calls or warnings into methods of the base transaction that
could be overridden in a subclass, and then folks can choose their own way
from there.