[Persistence-sig] "Straw Baby" Persistence API

holger krekel pyth@devel.trillke.net
Tue, 23 Jul 2002 09:32:42 +0200

Jeremy Hylton wrote:
> I'd like to see some comments from people who haven't already used
> ZODB.  I worry that all the comments are coming from a small number of
> people who wrote or use ZODB's persistent mechanism, and that we'll
> make decisions will be limiting for other persistent applications.
> (But maybe there aren't any other such applications/users.)

I am following the threads but haven't found time to contribute,
although i really, really want to.  Next week should be much better.

Actually i have been quite involved with developing a CORBA
Object transaction service in C++ for the realtime TAO-Object broker.
One spin-off currently lives at xots.sourceforge.net but personally
i am mainly concentrating on integrating TAO with python first :-)

Interestingly, several people have asked me for transactions *without*
persistence.  They just wanted a lightweight in-memory protocol
for handling atomicity and consistency and didn't give a damn
about durability and transaction monitors.  Overall, i'd like to
have the basic APIs (as much) orthogonal to each other (as possible).

Btw, i surely qualify as not knowing ZODB very much :-)

Please have some patience while i am trying to put my thoughts
into order next week. My starting point will probably be
Phillip's API.

regards,

    holger