[Persistence-sig] Is threaded access to persistent objects in scope?

Phillip J. Eby pje@telecommunity.com
Tue, 23 Jul 2002 19:33:46 -0400

Does anybody have any use cases for multi-thread access to the same
persistent object?

ZODB explicitly denies such thread-safety, making each thread responsible
for maintaining a separate object cache, or otherwise synchronizing access,
and thus avoiding locking issues and all the associated complexity.

I don't have any need to change this, personally; I'm happy staying as far
away from threading issues as possible.  But does anybody have any
*concrete* use cases where threaded access to the *same* object is a
necessity?  By same, I mean the identical object pointer, rather than a
copy of the object loaded specifically for that thread?  I haven't managed
to come up with any use cases that wouldn't be better handled using message
or event queues, or something like the Linda "tuplespace".

By the way, when I say "concrete", I mean that saying "oh, that sounds
terrible for performance and language X doesn't do it that way" is not a
"concrete" use case.  :)

Thanks!