[Persistence-sig] "Straw Man" transaction API

Shane Hathaway shane@zope.com
Wed, 31 Jul 2002 15:56:36 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 31 Jul 2002, Jeremy Hylton wrote:

>   SH> I would like this interface to be called
>   SH> ITransactionParticipant.  There are many interesting kinds of
>   SH> objects that would be interested in participating in a
>   SH> transaction, and not all of them have the immediate
>   SH> responsibility of storing data.  But the names you chose for the
>   SH> methods are very clear and concise, I think.
>
> I think IResourceManager is probably better (see above).  I wish I
> could take credit for the names, but I just grabbed them from the Gray
> & Reuter book :-).

Ok, but some of the things we'd like to tie into transactions don't really
manage data/resources.  For example, "CommitVersion", "AbortVersion", and
"TransactionalUndo" objects (from ZODB 3) just listen for the "commit"
message.  Then they ask an object that really is responsible for
data/resources to do something.

I don't have the book, but my uneducated guess is that we're working with
something a little more general than what Gray and Reuter proposed.

Shane