[Persistence-sig] "Straw Man" transaction API

Jeremy Hylton jeremy@alum.mit.edu
Wed, 31 Jul 2002 16:45:06 -0400

  SH> I'm going to defer to your book, with a final objection that
  SH> "resource manager" is terribly non-descriptive except in the
  SH> context of a special jargon.

I think special jargon is appropriate for the SIG.  We'll have to have
a section of the transaction PEP that defines the terms.

  SH> If I'm a Python programmer with plenty of experience but no
  SH> experience in transactions, I'm going to have to read a whole
  SH> book to learn what a resource manager is.  Something like
  SH> "transaction participant", however, gives me a much better idea
  SH> of the contract between the coordinator and the participant.

On the other hand, I think it's fair for end-user documentation to use
less precise terminology if that makes it easier to understand.  On
the third hand, this definition is only important for people writing
transaction participants.  It doesn't seem unreasonable for them to
learn the domain jargon; even better, if we stick with widely used
jargon, people with database backend experience but no Python
experience will be at home.

Jeremy