[portland] Planning for the August Meeting

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Sat Aug 4 00:25:39 CEST 2007

On 8/3/07, Ron Jackson <Ron at fascinatingelectronics.com> wrote:

>  Is the PDXpython group a social, professional, advocacy, technical,
> educational or tutorial gathering for software engineers, advanced amateurs
> or newbies? Seems like it could be any or all of these, and the group may
> wish to talk about what they want it to be.

I think it'll remain someone amorphous and fuzzily defined because of
what it is:  an open ended user group with plenty of turnover.  It'll change
its nature depending on who bothers to show up.

> Back to the topic of Python, the OSCON website has presentation files from
> many of the talks, including some video. The slides from Guido's talk about
> Python 3000 and a pdf of David Goodger's talk "Code Like a Pythonista" are
> available for free download (and both look excellent to me):

As someone who attended both said talks, I can attest to their quality.

Mine are there too, although the version at my home site is slightly more
up to date:

http://www.4dsolutions.net/presentations/connectingthedots.pdf (3.2 Meg)

I'll send a replacement to O'Reilly.

>  There is also a talk about Python on multicore processors, but I haven't
> looked at it:
> http://conferences.oreillynet.com/presentations/os2007/os_madsen_block.pdf
>
>    -- Ron

Didn't make this one.  Multicore was a big theme this year.

Kirby