[portland] oscon recap (was: Planning for the August Meeting)

Kevin Turner kevin at freegeek.org
Sat Aug 4 20:40:41 CEST 2007

On Tue, 2007-07-31 at 21:24 -0700, Mark Gross wrote:
> The multi-core python wasn't about python so much as it was about the
> cell in a PS-3.  perhaps I was tiered and missed something, but you can
> check what materials that have been posted so far:
> http://conferences.oreillynet.com/pub/w/58/presentations.html

Yeah, there was almost no Python in that talk.  It touched on Intel/AMD
multicore/multiprocessing a little bit, but it really was about the Cell
processor, and talked a lot about how each Cell only has 256k of local
storage, etc.  You don't get to Python at all until about slide 30 of
those 35 slides, with the mention of NetWorkSpaces, RapidMind, and QT
Threads, and most of that boiled down to "some literature on these tools
makes them sound promising but I have not evaluated them yet."

But if you want to go play with
http://lindaspaces.com/products/NWS_overview.html and
http://nws-py.sourceforge.net/ and present that material, that might be
fun.  I guess there's a developer kit you can get (from IBM?) that
emulates a Cell system, so you don't *need* to have a PlayStation 3 to
start investigating the technology...

> The Python 3000 presentation by Guido was kind of dull.  It was about
> how to get ready for the switch over and how you should port to 2.6
> (when its out) and always use the auto-port tool to make the code 3.0
> ready.

Jeff was pretty troubled with this one.  Jeff, has anyone you talked to
since then convinced you that there's a reason Guido is breaking the
language?