[portland] virtual servers for Python user groups

Brad Allen brad at allendev.com
Sat May 19 07:46:42 CEST 2007

What do you think of the idea of PSF funding hosted virtual servers
for user groups? A virtual server could be managed by a volunteer
representative of the local user group, so PSF's only involvement
would be the initial setup and paying the ongoing bill.  This would
give user groups a place for things like secure SVN hosting, Trac for
project management, and user group website, etc...

In the Dallas user group, we benefit from Jeff Rush donating the user
of his colocated server, but not every user group has someone that
can contribute a server. Making a similar resource available to any
Python user group could enable real action and growth.

Recently I visited the newly re-forming Python user group in
Portland, OR, which had a meeting at BarCamp, and we discussed the
virtual server idea. One of the members said he had an interest in
helping PSF pilot test projects to help bolster user groups, and I
think there would be no difficulty in finding someone to take on
sysadmin chores for a user group virtual server.

The Portland group would be a good testbed for seeing what PSF user
group assistance can do, because the group is in the process of
re-establishing after a period of inactivity.  I suspect Portland
could sustain a very large and active Python user group if they could
get the right resources assembled.