[portland] Meeting next week

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 19:39:35 CET 2007

Actually Microsoft is embracing open source at some levels, IronPython
on Codeplex for example, though true to form, MSFT uses its own
inhouse nomenclature and rules, as befitting an empire. :-D

The deeper issues revolve around the "scruffy hacker" image (per the
hilarious opening of 'Revolution OS' -- Eric Raymond telling the
story), and this whole "hacker = cracker = pirate" spin.  It's a
cultural confusion, not specific to health care per se.

Hospitals are more buttoned down than the CIA when it comes to medical
records, thanks to HIPAA, and there's confusion about how "open
source" is consistent with "ultra secret".

My role has been to reassure, e.g. you can swap database *schemas*
(called "registries" in our business) without sharing any clinical
data whatsoever.  That's a place to start.

Jeff S. and I were involved in this whole set of issues back in the
days of Collab at Free Geek (SQL Clinic etc.).  I've continued on that
trajectory ever since (was on it before I got there), even though
Collab is long gone by this time (I sure learned a lot from that
experience though).

Kirby