[portland] Tonight: Winter Coders Social 2008!

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Tue Dec 9 23:32:58 CET 2008

Just wanted to say this sounds lovely.

My mom, a superstar in some activist circles, is doing a farewell
human rights talk at the Linus Pauling House tonight.  I'm committed
to blogging about it, so I've had to sent my regrets.

Lest I waste this opportunity (a post to PPUG), I'll give some
updates, stuff I might've mentioned at the party tonight, had I been
there.  I'll try to be brief (lots going on for me).

I'm active on edu-sig per usual in Python community, Guido also
weighing in just recently.  There's some buzz around my approved
workshop for Chicago, which is spun as 'Python for Teachers' but I'm
very loose in my interpretation of "teacher" -- basically anyone who
needs to teach skills, could be in a corporate, private sector
setting, such as mine.  More at the Math Forum:

http://mathforum.org/kb/thread.jspa?threadID=1863073&tstart=0

Also, I've been pushing ahead with a project I announced at PPUG a few
back, a transparent bookkeeping system for coffee shops, by which I
mean you see a lot of the charitable giving right on the LCD screen,
fundraising thermometers and so on (lots of coffee shops have LCDs
these days).  Customers steer with their ethics (and their bellies),
one might say, in choosing Red Bull (for example) because .30 goes to
Greenpeace (say), or however the managers wire it (lots of consulting
action, lots of NGOs coming around with ideas, adding to the buzz
(what you want in a coffee shop:  buzz)).

More here:

http://worldgame.blogspot.com/2008/11/wanderers-20081119.html

Not saying there's a lot of source code on tap.  These days it's all
about HR (human resources).  We'll get to coding when we've got the
right team.

Ya'll have a great party now!

Kirby