[portland] Python shell designs

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Thu Jul 17 09:03:14 CEST 2008

I've been thinking about what it'd take to integrate more graphical
content directly into the shell.  This has long been a feature of
Mathematica per http://library.wolfram.com/howtos/images/ and is more
recently becoming a feature in Haskell
http://www.cs.kent.ac.uk/projects/pivotal/

I'm thinking that without changing the language, the __repr__ of some
Graphic type (a mixin?) gives us something more like scalable graphics
(like a font is scalable).  You'd need a special shell, like IDLE but
different (or a "next" IDLE?) that'd happly embed graphical stuff
right amidst the lexical (what's the diff anyway?).

Like you could go:

>>> mylist = Apple()
>>> mylist
[ << picture of apple >> ]

where there's an actual full color picture of an apple maybe, or just
an icon -- depends on the "font".  But you can also do transforms on
these graphics, like in PIL, so more like a font that gives you ways
to mess with the parametrics...  Anyway, just thinking out loud,
wondering if there're some Python projects already out there along
these lines some PPMUGer might be at liberty to tell me about...

Kirby