[portland] Interested in Python Courses

Igal Koshevoy igal at pragmaticraft.com
Sat Jul 19 06:08:05 CEST 2008

Scott Henderson wrote:
> I recently have started GUI development job
Congratulations!

> I'm having to learn Python for the first time.
You may not necessarily need classes because Python is much easier to
learn than many other languages. The language design is clear and
straightforward with few gotchas. The online documentation is excellent
and I learned everything I needed from the following official sources:

* http://docs.python.org/tut/tut.html - The Tutorial
* http://docs.python.org/lib/lib.html - The Library Reference

For day-to-day work, I'd almost always have the Quick Reference open:

* http://benyoonline.com/pqr/pqr25/PQR2.5.html

A friend of mine has used the following textbook for teaching CS classes
and recommends it:

http://www.amazon.com/Python-Programming-Introduction-Computer-Science/dp/1887902996

It may still be worth taking classes if that's how you prefer to learn,
but those online references should be a continual help as you work with
Python.

-igal