[portland] Step Value in range()

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Fri May 2 20:45:43 CEST 2008

On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 10:00 AM, Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> wrote:

>   Looks like a winduhs tool. I know of no linux/*BSD coding language that's
>  Visual anything.

You find instructions for installing VPython on Linux, Mac but it's a
pain unless you just grab 3.1.1 through Ubuntu (where I run it
sometimes).  Works great with student learners, part of my Saturday
Academy classes (preparing for tomorrow's as we speak).

It's an open source C++ library out of Carnegie-Mellon, nothing to do
with the Visual * products out of Microsoft.  But I can see where you
might be confused.

>   So, the answer to my question is 'no.'

>>> help(range)
Help on built-in function range in module __builtin__:

range(...)
    range([start,] stop[, step]) -> list of integers

    Return a list containing an arithmetic progression of integers.
    range(i, j) returns [i, i+1, i+2, ..., j-1]; start (!) defaults to 0.
    When step is given, it specifies the increment (or decrement).
    For example, range(4) returns [0, 1, 2, 3].  The end point is omitted!
    These are exactly the valid indices for a list of 4 elements.

Guess so.