[portland] Fwd: Open Source Bridge Conference town hall meeting - Thursday, October 30th, 7:30pm, CubeSpace

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Sat Nov 1 18:51:35 CET 2008

As a follow-up in case anyone tried to scrutinize my shot from the
breakout session on content...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/17157315@N00/2988630040/sizes/l/

... you'll notice "Fail Camp" up top, which I hadn't heard of before,
but is the delightful notion of a retreat for weary geeks ready to
face the failures and fiascos with an eye towards comparing notes,
learning lessons, avoiding future pitfalls of this or that kind.
Given "failure" is the premise, there's no defensive energy wasted on
putting a positive spin on some FUBAR situation, sharing war stories.

One of mine (war stories) has to do with trying to spread the gospel
of open source (just to sound evangelistic) among non-profits in
Portland, which does include churches, in Free Geek's brief venture
into the consultancy business.  Jeff S. was a co-worker.  Rather than
survey the field and promote greater fluency among NGO executives, we
drove our jeep straight down a vertical silo (aka well), never to be
heard from again.  Ah failure, live and learn...  Not really a Python
project though -- I should save this for Bridges.

Kirby