[portland] newcomer introduction

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Sun Nov 2 15:15:36 CET 2008

On Sun, Nov 2, 2008 at 12:09 AM, Anthony Smith <gods_bud666 at hotmail.com> wrote:

<< SNIP >>

> But then I hit a snag - the interpreter gave me
> syntax errors and highlighted a field of whitespace
> a few lines BELOW the last line of code I wrote.
> I assume that whitespace would not be interpreted
> as a syntax error - particularly in a place where
> nothing was yet written.

Yeah I seem to recall encountering this glitch a long while back,
maybe you checked Google already.  My advice would be to move to 2.6
and 3.0, both installed, start playing with migrating from one to the
next, focusing on what's different, a good way to explore the language
while developing skills people are looking for in this chapter (not
exclusively, but there's some inertia here you might want to
leverage).

> So I assumed that my version of Python was corrupted
> by something I downloaded off the internet (you know
> the garbage:  spam; viruses; spyware; trojans) so I
> erased Python and have not continued.

Also you need to check whether this is just a problem in IDLE, which I
think is what's probably the case.  Try a different shell like Wing
IDE 101 (free).

Looking forward to meeting you at Green Dragon sometime Tony (a
favorite watering hole for PPUGers).

Kirby