[portland] more followup re Chicago

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 18:14:20 CEST 2009

Greetings again so soon...

I won't usually cross-post such lengthy items but in the wake of Pycon
and lots going on, the shortest way I could thing of to do the right
filing was to simply FYI this from the Wanderers list.

We're on average an older group of engineers (similar xy : xx ratio),
still learning about open source and all the new flavors of geek out
there (multiple subcultures).  We meet in the boyhood home of Linus
Pauling on Hawthorne, the x2 Nobel guy, his and his partners papers
housed at OSU, with support from Doug Strain's estate (Doug founded
ESI, an early Silicon Forest startup, hqs formerly also on Hawthorne,
Doug have been Pauling's student at Caltech).

The organization behind Wanderers is called ISEPP (isepp.org) and I
represented this organization at Pycon this year (is what's on my
nametag in those slides).

Note below how I use Cubespace as a kind of shorthand for a FOSS hqs
or campus, even though we're from many walks of life, may live in
proprietary silos of various description (e.g. see below **).

This helps people tune in a set of overlapping tools (i.e. stacks), a
vocabulary, a namespace, that we somewhat share in our Barcamps,
OSCONs and so on.  I realize other types also get to use the building
e.g. VB#/ASP/Coldfusion could rent a booth.  However, as shorthand, I
think it stays true to the music.

I'm happy to take it off-list at this point, now that it's we've built
up a head of steam.  Mosaic (Suzanne Bader) reports nothing to add at
the moment.  I'm likewise thinking the ball is not in my court, though
I am curious what creaky old framework generates URLs this ugly:

http://www.oregonredcross.org/general.asp?SN=201&OP=2834&SUOP=2835&IDCapitulo=663B0ID44V
 (blech)

Reed College has an Open Source Developer office which I think maybe
I'll contact next, as Red Cross clearly could use some volunteer
assistance from CS trainees looking for academic credit for community
service type options (all the rage in academia these days).  The needs
assessments could be for free.  If they need more experienced
programmers, they know where to look (e.g. Cubespace).

See you on IRC or whatever,

Kirby Urner
4Dsolutions.net
"A pioneer in open source"

** http://www.darkroastedblend.com/2007/09/ballistic-news.html (scroll
down for goofy silos)

PS:  the allusion to 'Evil Cult' has to do with the author of 'SQL for
Dummies' is the dad of Taylor Twins:
http://www.taylortwinpictures.com/